Orange cake is the simplest cake that I always would love to make and of course would loveee to eat. heehee. I remember that orange cake is the very FIRST cake that I made in my life. Only after that, I started to fall in love with baking and it was in 2008 (my first year of uni, my first year in Oz >.<)
The recipe is adapted from The Little Teochew
195g all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
170g butter, softened
225g sugar (I used 200g castor sugar)
1 large egg, plus one large egg yolk
1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
12 tbsp whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius. Butter and line a 9-inch cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy for about about 2 minutes.
4. Beat in orange zest, then egg and egg yolk. If the mixture curdles, just add 1 tbsp of flour and continue mixing.
5. On low speed, add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk.
6. Switch mixer to medium and beat for 10 to 15 seconds, just until batter appears uniform. The batter should look thick and creamy.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula or knife.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until it reaches a dark-gold color and an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
9. Let to rest in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cake stand or platter. Allow cake to completely cool before slicing (Mine was slightly crumbling as I was too impatient that I cannot wait until it is completely cool before slicing it up :D)