The cupcakes are made for the ‘majlis solat hajat’ before the final exam, the last exam for me and my batch. Yeay!
Adapted from Exclusively Food.
120g butter, softened (the softened butter should be easy to cut through)
150g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
2 large eggs (we use eggs with a minimum weight of 59g)
188g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan-forced). If you are not using a fan-forced oven, adjust the oven rack to the middle of the oven.
2. Line twelve 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan holes with cases.
3. Using an electric mixer or electric hand-held beaters, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl, starting on low speed and increasing to high once the sugar is incorporated. Beat until the mixture is pale and creamy, stopping the machine once or twice during beating to scrape down the side and base of the bowl with a spatula.
4. Add one egg to the butter mixture and beat for about a minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the side and base of the bowl. Repeat with remaining egg.
5. Sift about half the flour (about 2/3 cup) over the butter mixture. Stir with a spoon or beat with the electric mixer/beaters on very low speed until the flour is just incorporated.
6. Add about half the milk (about 1/4 cup) and stir or beat on very low speed until just combined. The mixture will probably look curdled at this stage. Repeat the process with the remaining flour and milk. Do not over mix the batter.
Divide the mixture evenly among the cases (about 1/4 cup batter per case).
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cupcakes are light golden. When they are ready, a skewer or thin-bladed knife inserted into the centre of a cupcake will come out without any batter attached, and the cupcakes should spring back when lightly pressed in the centre.
8. Allow the cupcakes to completely cool before placing the icing.
175g (1 1/4 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
5g (1 teaspoon) butter, softened
22ml (1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon) boiling water
1. Stir icing sugar, butter and boiling water together in a small bowl until smooth.
2. Use icing immediately. If it starts to set before you have finished icing the cupcakes, stir in a few drops of hot water